Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Chicken or the Egg?






How many times have we faced the question of what to cook for dinner? Well, if you cook on a regular basis, the answer is “Quite Often”. Now, let’s think about the dreaded question of what came first, the chicken or the egg.  Do you base your choice of what to eat tonight on your protein or your side dish? Hmm… well, I would dare to say 90% of the time we choose our protein first, and then we fling in a couple of side dishes. I said 90% because sometimes we crave a side dish first – mashed potatoes… fried okra… broccoli casserole. Then we just cook whatever meat we want to serve with the coveted sides. Regardless of what came first, the chicken or the egg, we always have to sort out what to do for dinner. More often than not, my family isn't concerned about how much time or thought has been put into the meal.  They know how much I enjoy the process and getting a compliment from a family member or dinner guest makes it all worthwhile.

"Sweet and sour chicken" is a favorite dish with my kids. Last weekend I was craving couscous and rice salad and I wanted to serve it with wilted spinach cooked in sesame oil. I did not over analyze dinner. I just knew I had to prepare these three dishes. The dinner was balanced, and the melody created by the entire meal did not hit a flat note. Well, I am exaggerating just a tad.  My youngest son did question the couscous, but he ate it anyway.

Look for my next post which will feature the recipe for Orange-Sesame Chicken.



3 comments:

unikorna said...

astonishing photos...I love your ideas for food arrangements :).

Carlos said...

Thanks! Comments are always encouraging....

Tim & Dan said...

looks delicious!

http://www.hungryhk.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...