Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Queen of the Fields

There is nothing more therapeutic than an early walk in areas surrounded by nature. One Saturday morning I went for a walk to get some exercise done and to detox my brain from the workweek. In my laid-back walk, I stumbled upon an awe-inspiring  site. I am not sure if it was the way the light shined on the Queen Anne's Lace or what, but I was inspired to take a picture. I know, I was taking a picture of a bunch of weeds. Yes, Queen Anne's Lace is very much treated as a weed, but what is a weed? A weed is a plant growing in an unwanted place. What I saw during my walk was not a patch of weeds but a rather pleasant wildflower meadow. 


 I was very intrigued about this plant. As soon as I reviewed my pictures, I looked it up in one of my gardening books. I learned that Queen Anne's Lace is a member of the carrot family, sometimes referred to as wild carrot. Thou it doesn't produce the orange vegetable we harvest to eat, its leaves are similar and if you dig up a Queen Anne and crush its roots, they will even smell like a carrot. The flowers have lots of medicinal values. They are used to create infusions (teas) that prevent and  flush out urinary stones. The blooms are high in volatile oil, which  helps soothe the digestive system. The tea is also great to alleviate colic and gas. Just one catch,  you have to make sure you are not consuming a very similar plant called poison hemlock that can be deadly. I would just enjoy the beauty of this plant rather than consume it. Next time you have a chance to take a pleasant walk, stop, look around and take in the majestic beauty of the world we live in. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...