Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cherry topping is easy and elegant



















This time of the year, cherries are found everywhere. Fruit stands and grocery stores are displaying them so you won't miss them and the prices are as sweet as the fruit itself. If you have a local farmers market, you might even find, along with the fresh fruit, a stand with homemade/gourmet jellies. A friend of mine is experimenting with different combinations of fruits and spirits with amazing results. Cherry champagne and cherry-lemon among them. 

 Cherries are a great topping for ice cream. A homemade cherry sauce is particularly extraordinary when served with vanilla ice cream.  You can make your own by just using a cup of fresh cherries. I washed them, cut them in half and removed the pits. I placed them in a heavy pot and sprinkled with 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and the juice of one lime. You can enhance the flavor by adding 1/4 of cup of rum.

You simmer all the ingredients together for about 30 minutes and then remove from the heat and let it cool before serving.

 This cherry topping is also great to serve with cakes and to flavor sodas. Try spreading on top of pancakes or with French toast for a sweet start to your day.


The cherry syrup from the topping can be used to make a homemade cherry coke or sprite!



2 comments:

Kirsten@My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

Carlos, the rum is a neccesity! I make mine the same. Try a raspberry sauce with framboise. Also, really yummy with vanilla ice cream.

Lien - all new adventures said...

I love cherries, and I'm afraid if I bought any they don't last long enough in the house to be making anything with them. I'm not sure how pricey they are where you live, but man are they expensive down in the corner of my world! I'm talking $20 per kg - and that's when they are in season! I drooled all through your post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...