Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Rice, it's what's for dinner!


When I learned that our town was going to open a World Market store a few years ago, I was extremely excited, to say the least. World Market carries a variety of international sweet treats, snacks, beers, cooking ingredients and utensils, etc. Although they carry furniture and lots of home d├ęcor, I'm typically there for the food and to try ingredients that will give me a chance to prepare a new exciting dish for my family. I've tried some intriguing foods from there, and the prices are affordable. 

Last week I bought a bag of Basmati rice. We love Jasmine rice and Basmati has been on my radar for a while. I finally got a chance to prepare it, and I am totally sold on this type of rice. Basmati is a variety of long grain rice. It is hugely popular and cultivated in India. As I mentioned before, it is aromatic rice with a delicate fragrance. After it had been cooked, I realized that this is the longest grain rice I have ever prepared. This is not sticky rice; in fact, this rice is ever so loose and fluffy. I did rinse it three times before cooking it. I read that washing it several times until the water looks clear eliminates some of the excess carbohydrates that otherwise would cook with the rice. Also, this rice is excellent to prepare fried rice! If you have not tried it, give it a go, you will love it.







3 comments:

Brandon and Greer Reimer said...

I'm a big fan of basmati rice, fried rice is a good idea. I'll have to try that sometime. We usually make it with some toasted coconut flakes, cilantro, lime juice and use coconut milk in place of water.

Carlos said...

I've never used milk to cook rice unless making "Arroz con Leche" the spanish style rice pudding dessert! I do love the combination of lime,cilantro and coconut milk and will try it soon! :)

The Twisted Tine said...

We started using coconut milk when cooking rice, and I don't think we'll be going back. We tend to incorporate rice about a once a week into our dishes... my personal favorite is a blend where Steph dumps in some herbs de provence, but her new coconut milk approach gets thumbs up all around from us. Great results.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...