Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Feel the luck and the love with a blooming white Oxalis

      

                         
Source: havelsflowers.com via Carlos on Pinterest     
  






Whether you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day or not, you can bring some luck to your home with a shamrock, aka Oxalis. They like part sun and shade. Oxalis can be annual or perennial depending where you live. Always refer to the label for the growing zone. They come in different colors varying from white, pink or yellow blooms to silver, red or purple leaves.  They are great in flower beds and  they make a great border or groundcover.
Shamrock is included in the bouquet of an Irish bride, as well as in the boutonniere of the groom. I guess we can use all the luck we can get when it comes to making any major life decisions!  The shamrock was also used by St. Patrick to explain the Christian belief in the holy trinity.  As the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one being, the shamrock also has three parts.  Each leaf has three sections, yet they are also connected as one.









1 comment:

The Twisted Tine said...

I never knew the true name of Shamrock until just now, and I'm Irish-American... how sad.

When I was a kid, I'd keep my eyes peeled for these guys. I loved to find them whenever I was outside playing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...