Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Just Enough: Add more 'Till You're Happy!


I must say how much it bothers me when I find a good recipe and the ingredients are in grams! Just this morning, I was looking at a recipe for a European dessert and there it was … a hundred grams of this and a hundred grams of that. Seriously? Why can't we use cups and spoons as the universal kitchen measurements? I know I can find a conversion table, but that is not the issue. If I need to bake something right now, I don’t want to spend my time looking to see how many sticks of butter will be needed for a recipe that calls for 250 grams of butter. That is flat out ridiculous. That is like asking for directions to the nearest ice-cream store and being told it is just 3 kilometers to your right.  

I know I need to get over it! But really, 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon and 1 cup should be used in kitchens all over the world. Also, a pinch and a sliver are not to be used as measurements and if you think I am making a big deal out of this, go and preheat your oven at 176.666667° Celsius. 


U.S. to Metric

CapacityWeight
1/5 teaspoon 1 milliliter1 oz 28 grams
1 teaspoon 5 ml1 pound454 grams
1 tablespoon 15 ml  
1 fluid oz30 ml  
1/5 cup 47 ml  
1 cup 237 ml  
2 cups (1 pint) 473 ml  
4 cups (1 quart) .95 liter  
4 quarts (1 gal.) 3.8 liters  

Metric to U.S.

CapacityWeight
1 milliliter 1/5 teaspoon1 gram .035 ounce
5 ml 1 teaspoon100 grams 3.5 ounces
15 ml 1 tablespoon500 grams1.10 pounds
100 ml 3.4 fluid oz1 kilogram 2.205 pounds
= 35 ounces
240 ml 1 cup  
1 liter34 fluid oz
= 4.2 cups
= 2.1 pints
= 1.06 quarts
= 0.26 gallon
  

5 comments:

aactionoverhead said...

Garage austin, garage door austin, garage door austin texas, garage door repair austin, garage doors austin, garage doors austin tx, overhead door austin. http://www.aactionoverhead.com

mel said...

Being from the UK I think the complete opposite! The extra time it takes me to convert cups and sticks into grams annoys me too, I'm probably biased but I think our method is a lot easier seeing as we only need one kitchen utensil and that's a scale! Not all these fiddly little measuring cups.

Carlos said...

Mel, I am just saying it would be nice if all recipes would use the same measurements. I am ok with kilos and grams or cups and tablespoons, just as long as all cooking books use the measurements. :0)

Margaret said...

welcome to my life!

www.mapleandvine.com

aactionoverhead said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...