Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What is that??? Do I have to eat it?

  

I am not sure about you, but to me, a good casserole can be an easy and delicious way to get dinner ready. It is easy on the budget and can be made in a decent amount of time. Many times I wonder why they are not more popular. A few of my favorites are Sweet Potato, Chicken and Rice and Breakfast casserole. Well, if you have kids, that probably explains why they are not that popular. In my household, the word cas.se.role [kas-uh-rohl] from its Latin roots means "Vomit-like" according to my kids. In an effort to make casseroles in our home (because we the grownups love them), my wife and I have come up with a solution. Don’t call a casserole a casserole. For instance, Mexican pasta casserole has evolved to taco-pasta. Our kids love pasta and love tacos so we get away with it if nobody says the C word. Thanksgiving dressing is known as cornbread chicken. 
Here is something to try on a lazy Sunday morning:


FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

2 tbsp. Karo
1/2 lb. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. pecans optional 
12 slices bread, cubed, no crust
In medium saucepan, heat first three ingredients stirring until syrupy.
Pour this mixture into a 9 x 13 inch pan; then top with the bread cubes.
Beat together:
5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pour over top and refrigerate overnight. Did you read this? All you have to do is bake as you drink your first cup of java.
Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

♥ fashion chalet said...

It's true. the "C" word seems to make some shudder. I for one, love a good casserole. It's a full meal, easy and delicious. Will check your recipes out. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...